HOME OWNER SERVICES
Protect your home from sewer floods. Order our Water Management Inspection today. Prevention is much better and cheaper than a cleanup.
Water Management System Inspection and Backwater Valve Cleaning for Homeowners
- Ensure home has eaves
- Ensure eaves are not blocked by leaves and debris
- Ensure that the eaves have flow
- Ensure downspouts are connected
- Ensure downspouts are running 6-8 feet away from home, but not into neighbour’s property
(visual walk around the entire house to view the grading of the land around the house)
- Visual walk around property
- Evaluate the condition of the parging on the home
- Visual of cracks in foundation
- Grade of the land from the house edge
- Moisture readings
- Inspect for cold air returns (proper air circulation to prevent moisture build up within the basement, and if there is a sump pump present in the home with a back up battery system, it is important to have proper air circulation as the batteries give off a carbon monoxide and this would set off the smoke detectors, with high carbon monoxide readings, which would call in the fire department. It may also prevent the possible growth of mould).
- Inspect proper slope with a angle meter
- Inspect for moisture and water infiltration inside the valve housing
- Ensure the backwater valve’s clean out lid has a rubber gasket which can fall off easily, without the gasket this will lead to a sewer backup.
- Valve door inspection, to ensure it is clean and clear.
- CCTV inspection from your backwater valve towards the sewer line connection.
- Inspection of interior valve O rings, and replace if necessary, to ensure a proper seal for the valve door
- Inspect floats, if floats need to be replaced, it would mean the door requires replacement (additional cost)
- Flush the valve and clean completely, then flush test (same test a city inspector would do) to ensure the door is not flapping as the water goes thru it, or the valve will not work properly. Ensure valve cap and seal are sealed properly to ensure that the valve will function
7. Sump pump (if present) inspection – Optional extras for repairs or cleaning will be quoted and charged seperately..
- SUMP pump with or without backup battery system
- Check for battery, check levels of charge
- Float is properly functioning
- Proper drainage outside the house
- Ensure there is a refuse hose that runs 6-8 feet away from the house to ensure that it doesn’t run back into the sump pump zone or into the weeping tile. If there is a sump pump present in the home with a backup battery system, it is important to have proper air circulation as the batteries set off the smoke detectors with a carbon monoxide readings and in turn contact the fire department
8. Exterior valve( if present) inspection – Optional extras for repairs or cleaning will be quoted and charged seperately..
- Open, ensure cartridge is intact
- Clean valve
- Ensure the valve functions
- Ensure cap is sealed tight